Monday, July 27, 2026

Expansion - Chapter 27

 

Helvar – Going West

Helvar shifts his pack on his back, leans against the wall of the Grand Chapel, and lights his pipe using a lamp from the wall sconce.  He softly blows out smoke rings from the burning resin and breathes in the pleasant aroma.

“Is that a smart thing to do, prior to a long journey?” An acolyte asks as he moves near him, a similar style pack.

Helvar gives him a soft smile. “It’s a habit I picked up when I first studied. It helps me relax.”

“There’s nothing to stress about. We’re going to Khar‑Durnath. A place of peace and quiet. Away from the dangers.”

Helvar nods and slowly blows out another cloud of fragrant smoke.

“It smells nice though. I understand why you started.”

A number of priests, each pushing small carts with their belongings, form a line. A different acolyte, whose voice sounds familiar says to the group, “If everyone has everything, then you should get ready to go. The slowest and oldest up front, the strongest in the rear.”

“And if we had any children, place them in the center. How wonderfully tactical of you.” Helvar comments as he taps his pipe on the heel of his boot.

The acolyte walks up to him. “When walking Durn’s path, shouldn’t we use the best tactics?”

“Of course. I was simply thinking out loud. I’m happy to walk in the rear to make sure we are safe and secure.” Helvar smiles politely.

The acolyte walks closer and whispers, “Be careful of your sharp wit. Comments sharp as a glass edge might accidentally cut you.”

“Thank you for warning me. I’ll be more careful, especially on the road.”

An elderly priest, with an acolyte helping push his cart says “Let’s go. We have a long way to go and I’m not getting younger.”

They all head out. Moving through the city and to the broadly cut western tunnel, Helvar sees so many members of the Legion, walking in pairs and armed. He also notices so many Mining Guild members, their badges clearly fixed next to their clan emblems.

He keeps his mouth tightly closed as he thinks 'This is all a waste. I should be learning more from the Goblins. We should be sharing the Bimkor lands. We could teach them Durn’s purity of spirit.'

Legionnaires inspect trade goods for Guild stamps in the traders’ carts going West.

When the group of priests and acolytes gets to the Legion guards, the guard asks the  priest in the lead if he has a Transit pass for all of them. A slate is held up, and names are read, then the Legionnaire waves them through.

'It all seems like such a waste.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Expansion - Chapter 27

  Helvar – Going West Helvar shifts his pack on his back, leans against the wall of the Grand Chapel, and lights his pipe using a lamp from ...